A skilled workforce is one of the most valuable assets a company can have, which is why we can support you by providing professional and award-winning training.
What are Traineeships?
A Traineeship is an education and training programme with work experience that is focused on giving young people the skills and experience that employers are looking for. At its core are work preparation training, English and maths for those who need it, and a high quality work experience placement.
The placement can last anywhere between six weeks up to six months. Trainees may complete up to 240 hours of work experience over the six months.
It’s helpful for 16 to 24-year-olds and 25 year-olds with an education or health and care (EHC) plan to get ready for an apprenticeship or job if they don’t have the appropriate skills or experience. At the end of a traineeship, employers can offer an interview for an apprenticeship or job.
For more information on eligibility, funding and the business benefits of Traineeships please read the National Apprenticeship Service Fact sheet.
You can call 01803 540600 or email [email protected] to get more information and start the process.
Benefits for Businesses
Traineeships are an excellent way of re-invigorating your workforce and improving your bottom line. They can provide you with enthusiastic employees with the skills to have a lasting and positive impact on your business and, unlike apprenticeships, employers are not required to pay trainees.
- Traineeships are government funded short courses
- Businesses will receive £1,000 for each new trainee they hire
- Gives your current employees experience in training and mentoring
- You have the ability to design a programme that suits both the needs of your business and the needs of the trainee
- Can help you increase capacity and productivity within the workplace
- You can begin or continue to develop a loyal and talented workforce
- Allows you to help tackle youth unemployment
- Is a route into an apprenticeship or employment
Curriculum areas offering Traineeships include:
At South Devon College we are offering Traineeships in:
- Construction and Building Services
- Beauty Therapy
- Health and Social Care
- Business and Accountancy
Traineeships are very flexible, and by working closely with a training organisation you can design a programme which suits your needs and those of the trainee.
Traineeships can last from six weeks up to six months and will include:
- Work preparation training provided by the South Devon College
- English and maths* support if required, provided by South Devon College
- A work experience placement with an employer
In addition, at South Devon College, Trainees can also take valuable sector related qualifcations such as Food Hygiene or First Aid Certificates as part of their Traineeship.
At the end of their Traineeship, each young person will be guaranteed a job interview if a role becomes available or exit interview and a reference from the company providing the work experience placement.
To find out more, call 01803 540823 to speak to our Business Solutions team.
Alternatively, you can email [email protected].