South Devon College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Safeguarding can be defined as ‘keeping children and vulnerable adults safe from harm, such as illness, abuse, radicalisation or injury’.
- South Devon College will take all reasonable measures to ensure that the risks of harm to children, young people and vulnerable adults are minimised
- When there are concerns about the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, we will take all appropriate actions to address those concerns, working to agreed local policies and procedures in full partnership with other local agencies
- All staff are trained in Safeguarding and Prevent (counter terrorism)
- We will promote and reinforce shared values; to create space for free and open debate; and to listen and support the learner voice.
- We will work to break down segregation among different student communities including by supporting inter-faith and inter-cultural dialogue and understanding, and to engage all students in playing a full and active role in wider engagement in society
- We will ensure student safety and that the College is free from bullying, harassment and discrimination
- To provide support for students who may be at risk and appropriate sources of advice and guidance
- We will ensure that students and staff are aware of their roles and responsibilities in preventing violent extremism.
Staying Safe Online
The College actively encourages safe practice online and supports Virtually Safe Torbay, who support and advise young people, parents and professionals on how to stay safe online. Further information on how to stay safer online can be found here. If you are worried about how someone is behaving towards you or someone else online, information on what to do can be found here. We have designated staff members that are involved within the bay to improve online safety for our learners and to give guidance when required.
If you as a learner at South Devon College have any concern about your wellbeing, safety or rights, you should talk to your tutor or a member of staff you trust, or contact one of our Positive Intervention Team on 01803 540321.
Designated Safeguarding Lead is Elizabeth Lawrence. Tel: 01803 540359
Deputy Safeguarding Lead/PI and Counselling Lead is Michelle Wilson. Tel: 01803 540321
Safeguarding Team (Positive intervention) Tel: 01803 540321, room 3.060
Rhiannon Gray/Simone Wright/Sara Johns/Danielle Bennett/Rosie Mitchell
The Safeguarding and Positive Intervention Team are there to provide learners with pastoral care throughout their time at South Devon College and to answer any safeguarding concerns that you/the learner may have in regards to their well- being. They work with learners to build self-confidence and self-esteem through individual sessions that can take place weekly, or as agreed with the learner. They can provide sexual health advice and contraception and refer to our counselling service if further support is needed. They work closely with other members of college staff, such as the nurse, the DSL and tutors to provide a full wrap around care package, as well as other agencies in and outside of the College. They can refer students to external agencies if and when necessary to provide support to all learners.
Jackie Fletcher– College Nurse, tel: 07809847478 / 01803 540325
The College Nurse performs a variety of tasks, and is available to answer any ‘medical type’ of questions; advise and monitor weight/height, blood pressures, provide a good range of sexual health services including free condoms (C-Card), Sexual health matters, advice, and will help you to arrange any family planning appointments, stop smoking advice and many other things. The nurse cannot prescribe any medication but there are procedures in place if required. If students have any specific health needs, please speak to the nurse to discuss. Appointments are available between 11am and 1pm. Jackie is in College between 10am-2pm Monday to Friday.
Additional designated safeguarding staff include:
Alex Howarth – Designated Teacher for looked after children, 01803 540777
Mark Waldron – Designated Safeguarding Governor
Liz Porter/Ben O’Sullivan – C2C and 14-1
For South Devon High School:
Jamie Cree. Tel: 540464/ Lauren MacKenzie. Tel: 540643