The Sustainability Group
Our dedicated team are passionate about raising awareness and encouraging cross-college involvement from staff and students. They currently recover reports on energy use and green travel plans and work with staff and students to receive ideas and coordinate cross-college sustainable activity.
View our Sustainability Policy here.
Take a look at our most recent newsletter here and discover our Go Green Week activities, steps taken to reduce paper usage, Sustainability Group updates and interesting facts.
Our goals are to:
- Have a sustainable campus
- Motivate the next generation of students to tackle and and engage with sustainability challenges that they will find within their lifetime
- Be committed to achieving a sustainable future
- Link any future sustainability activity to the 17 Global Goals below. Learn more about the goals here
Did you know?
- The 4 picnic benches outside the University Centre are made from 100% recycled plastic, saving a whopping 11440 2pt milk bottles from landfill!
- We were one of the first colleges to sign up for the Further Education Carbon Management programme and as a result have a 5 year target to reduce co21 by at least 30%
- Our University Centre building incorporates rainwater recycling, solar panels and exposed concrete soffits to allow free cooling with night cooling augmented by automatic opening vents all leading to the achievement of a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating
- We have a successful 100% ‘zero to landfill’ Recycling programme in place
- Working with Stagecoach and First Great Western, we have provided green transport to our campuses with a 3-fold increase (600 to 1800 learners) in the last 2 years
- Our vehicle fleet will be electric or bio-diesel powered
- We have reduced the need to print and reduce associated paper usage saving 1,602,482 sheets of paper which equates to 13,781Kg of C02 saved
- Our curriculum has developed online learning to reduce the need to travel
- South Devon College is Fairtrade accredited
- Wood chippings from the Construction block are used by the animal care department for bedding
- The Automotive department recycle Oil, Petrol, Fuel Filters, Brake Fluid and much more through special contractors
- Vegetable peelings from the kitchens go onto the compost heap in the horticultural area – as we use the vegetables from the gardens in our dishes this is a complete Re-Cycle