Ofsted Outstanding – South Devon College celebrated a remarkable transformation after recently enjoying a truly ‘outstanding’ inspection result following a rigorous investigation by Ofsted – the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. It was decreed by Ofsted that South Devon College’s quality of provision is ‘Outstanding.’
The Inspectors found that the areas investigated were ‘Outstanding’, including:
- Effectiveness of provision
- Capacity to improve
- Achievement and standards
- Quality of provision
- Leadership and management
- Equality of opportunities
- Guidance and support
…and a variety of approaches to inclusion so that all at South Devon College can achieve. This is a ringing endorsement of the college mission – ‘Inspiring our community through learning for all.’ At the conclusion of the visit, Inspectors for Ofsted
outlined South Devon College’s key strengths as follows:
- High success rates
- Highly effective use of information learning technology which enhances learning
- Extensive curriculum range that meets the needs and interests of learners
- Outstanding educational and social inclusion
- Outstanding support
- Outstanding governance, leadership and management
- Outstanding capacity to improve
- Outstanding equality of opportunity
- Excellent accommodation and resources for Learning
Report highlights include:
- “Achievements and standardsare outstanding.”
- “The needs and interests of learners are outstandingly met.”
- “Guidance and support are outstanding”
- “Success rates are high for learners of all ages.”
- “The breadth of provision is outstanding.”
- “The overall effectiveness of the college is outstanding.”
- “Leadership and management are outstanding.”
- “Teachers plan and manage learning skilfully and effectively. Many lessons include a variety of learning activities and focus well on the learning and attainment of individuals.”
- “The college readily embraces collaboration with schools. It provides successful courses for school students aged 14 to 16.”
- “Enrichment activities are outstanding and take-up is high. The innovative programme involves many different national and international visits for learners as well as sporting, cultural, and charitable events. Activities are planned carefully to enable learners, including those with disabilities and part-time learners, to participate.”
- “The College has a very strong commitment to equality and diversity which is reflected in their outstanding support arrangements.”
TEF Gold – University Centre South Devon (UCSD)
has been awarded the highest rating of ‘Gold’ under the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), a system for recognising excellent teaching and learning in higher education.
Higher Education QAA Review
– The QAA conducted a review of our Higher Education in December 2014 awarding the College 2 commendations, and recognising 8 areas of particularly good practice. They judged both the quality and the enhancement of student learning opportunities to be exemplary. The full review can be read
Investors In People Platinum – South
Devon College received the prestigious Investors in People (IIP) Platinum accreditation, the highest level awarded by the people management standard. South Devon College is the only College in England to have achieved Platinum status and
this prominent distinction confirms the College’s status as not just a leading Further Education College, but also as a top employer in the country, as it joins the top 7% of accredited organisations across the UK.
European Union Social Fund Re-engagement Project – South Devon College worked in partnership with PETROC on an ESF funded NEET re-engagement project in 2014-15. The successful partnership helped engage young 16-18 year olds across Torbay
and South Devon in innovative ways. The project over-exceeded its recruits and achieved 97% in both positive achievements and progressions.
TES Employer Engagement Award – South Devon College has a long and successful track record of developing curricula in partnership with local employers. In South Devon and Torbay, there is a growing hi-tech sector, with a cluster of businesses employing more than 1,000 people. South Devon College’s hi-tech and digital department is seen as a hub of innovation, supporting businesses with a host of new ideas and developments.
Winner of Food and Drink category for sustainability initiative –
South Devon College was crowned winner of the ‘Food and Drink’ Category at the annual national Green Gown Awards 2016 for their innovative project ‘Samphire- What a Pickle’. Established in 2004, the Green Gown Awards recognise the exceptional
sustainability initiatives being undertaken by universities, colleges and the learning and skills sectors across the UK and Ireland as the education sector leads a path to efficiency, employability and better quality of life for us all.
Highly Commended in Skills and Learning
– This commendation recognised the exceptional work of the College’s South West Energy Centre in opening new market opportunities for renewable technologies and promoting sustainability throughout the local area. The award was presented at the Green Gown Awards 2015.
AAT Training Provider of the Year 2016
– In May 2016, South Devon College was highlighted as the training provider of the year for delivering AAT (Accounting) qualifications. The Awards Ceremony celebrates the outstanding contributions of AAT training providers and students around the world.
Recognised by leading employers in the UK and around the world, AAT is the perfect qualification whether you’re just starting a career in finance, already working in industry or are looking to retrain in a new career.
British Marine Training and Development Award 2016 – Dart Marine Academy, based at Noss-On-Dart in Kingswear, won the award for Training and Development at the British Marine Awards Ceremony in London in March 2016. The award recognises the Marine Academy as a stimulating and supportive workplace with well-motivated, well-trained, ambitious and developed staff.
Investor in Careers accreditation –
The College received the accreditation as a result of their exemplary careers education, information, advice and guidance. The quality standard was awarded following rigorous assessment.
The Investor in Careers quality standard is a framework that assesses the management of careers education and support. This relates directly to students’ awareness of career opportunities, as well as supporting them in achieving their goals and encouraging
their career aspirations.
2014 The JLT Employee Benefits Awards for Health and Wellbeing
2012 LSIS Award for Efficiency through Effective use of Technology in FE & Skills. Winner
2012 The 1st4sport Qualifications & Sportscoach UK Award for Sport in the Curriculum – Winner
2010 The YPLA Award for 14-19 Collaboration – Winner Outstanding Staff’ approach to employee development.Highly Commended
2008 The Jardine Lloyd Thompson Benefit Solutions Beacon Award for Health and Community Care (Health & Social Care) Winner
2007 The Edge Award for Practical Teaching and Practical Learning (in Automotive Engineering): Winner The FENC Award for the Creative Use, Adaptation and Delivery of Learning Resources: Winner The Eversheds Award for the
Effective Use of Capital Development: Winner The City and Guilds award for Staff Development in Further Education: Highly Commended
2006 Centre for Excellence in Leadership for Innovation in Curriculum Leadership & Development (Construction) Winner
2010 Tessa Aimes ACL Awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award
2009 Debi Smithson ACL Nominated for a STAR Teacher & Learner Practitioner
2008 Marie Hubbard ACL Runner up in ‘Skills for Life’ practitioner award, Marie Hubbard ACL Runner up in ‘Skills for Life’ practitioner award
2007 Michael Prosser, Learning Support Technician Shortlisted in the Category ‘Outstanding Contribution to Learning Support’
Community Awards –
Gail Tucker, an ACL tutor at Brixham, was awarded the ‘Education Worker of the Year’ in 2010. The College also had finalists in two other categories, Katie Babbs in the ‘Green/Contribution to the Environment’ category.
FE Choices latest comparators – General Further Education and Tertiary Colleges As at March 2016
|Measure||Data Year||Performance||Average Sector Performance|
Courses delivered at South Devon College are used by the European Social Fund to enable them to invest in reducing the differences in prosperity across the EU and enhance economic and social cohesion.
Matrix accredited – South Devon College is fully accredited for the effective delivery of impartial careers information, advice and guidance for applicants and current students.
Special Inspiration Games – Pupils and teachers at South Devon College celebrated when they were officially welcomed in to London 2012’s Get Set network in recognition of their commitment to the Olympic and Paralympic Values.
Podium Award The sports department were also Bronze medallists for the Award for Outstanding Sporting Project at the National “Podium” Awards in 2012. Podium is a government funded body facilitation London 2012 legacy opportunities.
The award to South Devon College was in recognition of the Special Inspiration Games, which aims to inspire young people with learning difficulties or disabilities aged 14-25 to take part in activities that they may not have tried before.
The project involved community groups, local schools and colleges.