UCSD is committed to providing accessible information for anyone who has an interest in Higher Education at South Devon College. In doing so, we aim to:
• communicate the purpose and value of Higher Education to the public at large
• to help prospective students make informed decisions about where, what, when and how they will study
• to enable current students to make the most of their higher education learning opportunities
• to confirm the achievements of students on the completion of their studies
• to safeguard academic standards and assure and enhance academic quality
Given this, not all information about Higher Education provision is in the public domain, but that certain information is signposted in a targeted fashion (QAA Chapter C).
Information about us as an institution
Information about quality and standards
South Devon College was reviewed by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) as part of the Integrated Quality and Enhancement Review (IQER) process in December 2014. This process, similar to Ofsted, is how the QAA ensures that the quality of higher education delivered in Further Education Colleges meets the relevant standard required for the awards each institution offers. Since 2012, higher education in Colleges is reviewed in the same way as all universities and providers of higher education, through the Higher Education Review (HER).
The review in December 2014, judged the quality of student learning opportunities and the enhancement of student learning opportunities as commended. The full review can be read here and the Action Plan here.
Information on how to apply and programmes of study
Each course has its own Programme Quality Handbook which is accessible from the individual course pages.
Each student will have access to the Student and College University Handbook and the Teaching, Learning and Assessment Handbook for their programme following enrolment.
The College recognises that the views of students, individually and collectively, should inform the quality systems with the purpose of improving the student educational experience both for current and future cohorts. Student involvement in quality can have a positive influence on the deliver and development of any aspect of the student educational experience. The South Devon College Student Engagment Framework explains the many ways in which students can participate in quality enhancement and assurance, which includes, but is not restricted to representation of the student view through formal representation mechanisms.
Partnerships with awarding bodies
All qualifications for Higher Education are awarded by, and validated by Plymouth University. With a mission to ‘advance knowledge and transform lives through education and research’, Plymouth University is among the emerging global elite of modern higher education institutions. Ranked in the top 300 universities in the world (and the number one post-1992 universities in the UK) by Times Higher Education, Plymouth is distinguished by its ‘off-the-curve’ approach, combining world-class research and teaching with a commitment to widening participation and social inclusion.
- A top 50 UK research university
- A record 16 Teaching Fellows with the Higher Education Academy
- Recipient of the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher Education in 2012 for the quality of its marine and maritime teaching and research
- A top ten global green university – and the only university in the world to be awarded the Social Enterprise Mark
- Recognised as the enterprise university, with 12,000 placements provided each year for its students, and responsible for £100 million of incubation, innovation and science park assets across a regional growth and investment network
- The only modern university in the UK to found its own medical and dental school, and the largest provider of healthcare education in the South West
- Courses for art and design ranked in the top 20 in the UK
Other related policies and procedures