Our curriculum is designed to help pupils succeed and prepare for their next steps into further and higher education and employment.
Pupils will study a broad Key stage 4 curriculum, which includes Core subject GCSEs (Maths, English Language, English Literature and Combined Science), PE, PSHE, Careers and 4 further GCSE or technical qualifications that they choose through their option choices. In each technical qualification, pupils will gain a depth of knowledge, skill and expertise, whilst gaining a GCSE qualification. The specialised qualifications will include more practical learning and projects to gain a better understanding of the subject. Up to 9 GCSEs will be completed in total.
- Animal Care (Technical) – designed to provide pupils with the essential skills necessary to progress in a career working with animals. Pupils will gain valuable experience working within our animal unit and will learn animal health and welfare, husbandry and conservation.
- Business Studies (Technical) – designed to give students the practical skills and applied knowledge they’ll need in business and entrepreneurship. Practical elements build on theoretical knowledge so that students can put their learning into practice while also developing valuable transferable skills.
- Childcare and Development (Technical) – designed to inspire those interested in a career in an early years setting. You will cover the key aspects of child development, with both theoretical and practical study, which will include work experience within a nursery.
- GCSE Computer Science – is engaging and practical, encouraging creativity and problem solving. It encourages students to develop their understanding and application of the core concepts in computer science. Students also analyse problems in computational terms and devise creative solutions by designing, writing, testing and evaluating programs.
- GCSE Creative Arts – this allows you to explore a variety of traditional and new art processes, studying mediums including drawing, printmaking, painting, photography, fashion, textiles and 3D design.
- GCSE Geography – is based on a balanced framework of physical and human geography. It allows students to investigate the link between the two themes, and approach and examine the battles between the man-made and natural worlds.
- Health and Social Care (Technical) – this will help you prepare for a career in nursing, occupational therapy and midwifery. You will learn various skills, such as good practice in health and social care, promoting health and wellbeing and many more.
- GCSE History – This qualification combines the most popular topics from well-established periods of history as well as some exciting new topics. It builds on the skills introduced at Key Stage 3, and will help develop essential skills for further study and transferrable across multiple vocations. Units of study that you will cover include:1. USA 1920-1973: Opportunity and Inequality2. Conflict & Tension in the Middle East 1990-20093. Elizabethan England 1568-1603
4. Power & the People (British History)
- Hospitality (Technical) – this covers the products and services that are offered and the essential processes involved in operating a hospitality business. You will learn a variety of skills that are essential to the local hospitality job market.
- GCSE Photography – you will engage in still and moving image using traditional and new technologies. You will study subject matter personal to you and have the opportunity to work with a range of genres and styles.
- Engineering (Technical) – you will gain knowledge and understanding of a broad range of engineering competencies. The course covers the intermediate knowledge, understanding and skills that are required by someone working in the engineering industry. It takes a hands-on approach to intermediate engineering training, which will provide you with access to the new Hi Tech & Digital Centre engineering workshops.
- Games and Digital Development (Technical) – this course will help you understand games production processes and technologies within gaming development as well problem solving and production skills, utilising cutting-edge resources for game design, digital graphics and filmmaking . This leads to practical and creative skills that transfer into the workplace within the gaming industry. Access to the new Hi Tech & Digital Centre will allow you to use a range of technical equipment.
- Sport Coaching (Technical) – you will learn the introductory skills to start a career in the sport industry or progress within employment in the sector. This qualification can also prepare you for higher or further education and gives a good introduction to the sport vocation. You will have access to all the college sport facilities including the South Devon College Sports Centre.
- Adventure Sport (Technical) – you will learn the introductory skills to start a career in the adventure industry or progress within employment in the sector. This qualification can also prepare you for higher or further education and gives a good introduction to the outdoor education vocation. You will have access to all our outdoor education equipment and take part in activities such as climbing, Abseiling and Canoeing.
- GCSE Sociology – is designed to foster in learners an understanding and critical awareness of the social world around them. This subject will develop learners’ ability to think sociologically in relation to their experience of the world around them so that they are able to play a positive, active and informed role in society.