This apprenticeship is suitable for teachers who want to develop their pedagogical practice and working with those aged 14+. The Learning and Skills Teacher (LST) is ‘dual-professional’, having first achieved competence in a vocational or subject specialism and then subsequently trained as a teacher. This means that many teachers in the Education and Training Sector (ETS) begin teaching as a second, or even later, career.
LSTs teach young people and adults within all parts of the ETS, including: work based/independent training provision; further, adult and higher education; offender-learning; and the voluntary sector. LSTs are responsible for planning and delivering learning that is current, relevant, challenging, and that inspires students to engage and achieve their full potential. LSTs collaborate closely with colleagues and other ETS professionals in supporting learner progress. LSTs ensure the physical, psychological and social wellbeing of students.
• Competence in vocational and/or specialist subject at an appropriate level
• Confirmation of current vocational/specialist subject knowledge
• Up to date knowledge of workplace practice
• A willingness to continue to develop personal ICT skills to a level in-line with the LST role
• Apprentices without Level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level prior to taking the end point assessment. For those with an education, health and care plan or a legacy statement, the apprenticeship’s English and maths minimum requirement is Entry Level 3. Please note: a British Sign Language qualification is an alternative to an English qualification for whom this is their primary language
"I previously studied at a local grammar school, and chose to study a Foundation Degree at the University Centre South Devon because it meant I could stay close to home, which meant that I could save money. I also really liked that the course required a placement alongside your studies, which was a really valuable way of gaining essential experience. The tutors on the course were incredibly helpful, and they were always there to provide various levels of support. I was really pleased to gain a strong overall grade, and I was particularly proud of my research project. I used to teach outdoor education, but had decided to teach indoors instead, and I'm really glad I made that choice. I'm now aiming to top-up my degree and gain a PGCE so that I can become a primary school teacher."Stephanie Hudson
We have courses to suit everyone so if you haven’t found exactly what you’re looking for yet, we recommend you take a look at the following courses. We’ve selected these for you based on your interests.
We currently offer a wide range of apprenticeships in various sectors including: childcare, management, hairdressing, marine and many more. Apprenticeships are available to anyone over the age of 16.
We deliver a range of Higher Apprenticeships which offer a unique way of developing professional level, job specific skills while remaining in employment and earning a salary.
A supportive learning environment is available for all students including, free or discounted travel options, careers advice and more. We take pride in matching apprentices of all ages to the right job and employer.