23rd May 2019
What we do
This foundation degree focuses on outdoor adventure sports, and provides you with valuable practical experience, enabling you to pursue a variety of careers in this thrilling sector. The course also offers you the opportunity to gain qualifications from national governing bodies alongside your studies, further evidencing your skills and increasing your employability.
You will be enjoying the South West’s fantastic natural environment, gaining experience in activities such as mountaineering, climbing, kayaking, mountain biking and coasteering. Our students also regularly achieve BCU 2 and 3 Star, UKCC Level 1 Coach, Mountain Leader and Single Pitch Award qualifications during their studies. This provides you with a broad skillset that will offer you a variety of opportunities upon the completion of your studies.
What we are planning to do
It has been an exciting year for the students on the programme having experienced the extreme effects that scuba diving has on the body with the added benefit of learning to scuba! Practical every week has seen the students explore Dartmoor and the English Riviera via a number of different adventurous activities and they are in the final stages of planning their expedition to Scotland at the end of the year. This course is the only foundation degree or degree in the country that provides the opportunity to become a registered practitioner in the institute for outdoor learning (RPIOL) within the work based learning module. In addition, the foundation degree has just partnered with the UNESCO Global Geo-park network to design an Environmental module that students can study the affects of activities in the local area.
Our industry is growing
Local employers require industry professionals with higher level skills who are required to take on sessions and use their initiative to build their brands and programmes. To work in the industry you’ll need to show evidence of the following:
- The ability to quickly develop successful working relationships with people from different backgrounds and with varying levels of sporting ability
- A desire to help other people succeed
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Team-building ability
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and patience
- Awareness of equality and diversity issues, including those related to sport and disability
- Motivational skills and an understanding of the psychology that underpins successful competition, particularly at senior coaching levels
- Organisational skills
- A strong interest in maintaining professional skills and knowledge