23rd May 2019
What we do
The programme will have a more industry focused Coaching and Fitness development flavour to better equip you with the specialist skills and knowledge necessary to excel within the dynamic sport coaching and fitness sector. Giving you the ability to adapt to the growing public and sport club demand within the industry.
The course considers a broad range of relevant disciplines, preparing you for future employment in the sector. You will build a strong understanding of the physiological theory of sport science, as well as health psychology, nutrition and various other topics. You will also develop your analytical and research techniques, which will support your practical skills and experience.
There is a focus on providing vocational skills in realistic working environments, and the College has a range of specialist facilities that support both your academic and practical development. These include a modern fitness suite, a physiology lab and a sports massage and rehabilitation suite.
What we are planning to do
Students have had the opportunity to access additional qualifications in Level 2 gym instruction, Level 3 sports massage, UK Coaching courses (Coaching the Person in front of you and How to Teach the fundamentals of movement) alongside their core degree programme giving them opportunities to access additional employment opportunities. Students have also had visits from Nutrition companies to talk about the benefits of healthy eating products to tie in with their module. In addition, for 2019 we have just announced a HE football development partnership with Torquay United Football Club to provide opportunities for players to access BUCs football every Wednesday and coaching and analysis work placement opportunities.
Our industry is growing
Local employers require industry professionals with higher level skills who are required to take on sessions and use their initiative to build their brands and programmes. To work in the industry you’ll need to show evidence of the following:
- The ability to quickly develop successful working relationships with people from different backgrounds and with varying levels of sporting ability
- A desire to help other people succeed
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Team-building ability
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and patience
- Awareness of equality and diversity issues, including those related to sport and disability
- Motivational skills and an understanding of the psychology that underpins successful competition, particularly at senior coaching levels
- Organisational skills
- A strong interest in maintaining professional skills and knowledge